Our company represents competence in grinding technology, and the ability to meet demanding customer requirements. We are the only company to offer basket, pin, circulation and passage mills. We have been building horizontal disc mills for more than 40 years, and over 4,200 machines are in global use today. We are the only manufacturer in the world able to build them in size from1 ltr to 15,000 ltr and from 3 kW to 4000 kW.
With the introduction of the new disc geometry TetraNex®/TetraNex®+, a significant increase in the efficiency of the grinding system was achieved. Now the grinding system has been modified again. In this long history - marked by ideas and patents - a new milestone has been set with the Discus Intensive Rotor.
- Highest productivity
- Low specific energy requirement
- Significantly narrower residence time distribution
- Highly-efficient grinding media separation system
- Reliable scale-up
- Optimum product cooling with an inner pipe of grinding tank made of NETZSCH-Ceram C
- Efficient recirculation is possible
- Highest throughput rates
The highly efficient, dynamic centrifugal separation system facilitates the use of grinding beads of various densities, matched to the application. In addition, it allows the use of grinding beads down to 0.3 mm in diameter. The separation system ensures that the mill can be operated far below the critical point of grinding bead compression, even for products with challenging rheological properties.
The Discus Intensive Rotor allows much higher flow rates without reaching the maximum pressure. This helps run highly viscous product at high flow rates, and also allows running of an effective circulation operation for products that have specific energy requirements starting with, around, 100 kWh/t and higher.
What we do, we do well. This success story is based on the trusting cooperation with a German customer who has been using an LME 20 in the standard version for his production since the beginning of the 1990s. It shows continuous improvement of the disc mill.
- The customer has to guarantee a shelf life of minimum one year, so he is running a second pass to get a clean product. When we changed to the TetraNex®/TetraNex® plus design and the conventional separation system, we were able to increase the productivity by 50% to 60 kg/h but still 2 passes are necessary. The temperature outlet was at the product limit.
- For this reason we changed the liner material to NETZSCH Ceram C so that we were able to increase agitator speed without reaching the maximum temperature. The production rate increased by another 40% to 85 kg/h but still a second pass was necessary to get a clean product.
- By installing the double conical spacers we were successful in getting a clean product and at a flow rate of 190 kg/hr - this is roughly 4-6 fold increase.
- Through an additional modification of the grinding media separation and the complete use of the grinding chamber as a process volume, a further significant increase in product output to 400 kg/h in one pass was achieved.
|Grinding Chamber |
|Batch size |
|Drive power |
|Typical throughput |
|LabStar||0.75||1.5 - 5||3||5 - 50|
|Discus 4||3.6||10 - 100||7.5||18 - 180|
|Discus 30||26||100 - 500||22 / 30||70 - 750|
|Discus 60||54||200 - 1000||45||140 - 1500|
|Discus 150||150||500 - 2500||75 / 90||250 - 2500|
The next Generation in Wet Grinding - NETZSCH-Feinmahltechnik GmbH has now developed the new Alpha® modular machine platform. Compared to earlier-generation machines, this series is designed such that different grinding systems can be mounted on the same base platform as appropriate for a defined drive capacity.